Destination Dish: September Recipe of the Month!
Destination Hotels & Resorts has challenged each of their chefs across the country to take part in The Destination Dish. Each month Destination Hotels & Resorts will select one ingredient; each chef must create a recipe around the chosen ingredient and incorporate it into their respective restaurant's menu that month. The ingredient changes every month, so do the menu items!
September's ingredient is the perfect entry into upcoming autumn: mushrooms! And, T. Cook's contribution? Chef Lee Hillson's savory Summertime Breakfast:
- 2 thick slices of crusty bread
- 1 1/2 cup assorted chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon rough chopped tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon rough chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsely
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices bacon (thick-cut)
- 1 large egg
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
First, cook the bacon until crisp and remove from pan. Then in same pan, on medium heat, sauté chopped garlic in 1 tablespoon butter for 1 minute, then add chopped mushrooms. Season with salt to taste. When mushrooms cooked (3-4 minutes) add the tarragon and parsley before removing from the heat.
Meanwhile, brush the bread slices with the olive oil and grill (or broil) to toast.
In a separate heated pan, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and fry the egg until cooked to taste.
Place toasted bread on serving plate, cover with mushroom and herb mixture, top with fried egg, finally adding salt and pepper to taste.
Idea: For a more hearty breakfast, add small diced, fried potatoes to your mushroom and herb mixture to create a hash. The options are endless!